Want to support local agriculture in North Brooklyn?
Grab a slice of tiramisu from the bake sale at the first ever Gay Ole Opry tonight at Public Assembly. The proceeds from the desserts go to Just Food, the group that helps neighborhoods and farmers organize CSAs. Just Food helped El Puente start the first CSA in the neighborhood. Since 2000 the eat local movement has exploded, with our neighborhood now supporting seven CSA’s!
If you love vegetables (or even just want to), joining a neighborhood CSA is a great way to participate in the local sustainability movement and get the freshest food possible. Each CSA is its own special thing, partnering with different farms that grow different types of produce, and have varying degrees of volunteer requirements. March & April is the time to sign up for this Summer’s farm share; Most CSAs sell out in April so it is important to check them out now…
- Eagle Street Rooftop Farm CSA distributes on Tuesday nights, Waterfront Greenpoint
- East Williamsburg CSA [sold out but can sign up for 2012 waiting list] distributes on Saturdays, East Williamsburg
- Greenpoint Williamsburg CSA, distributes on Wednesday nights, McGolrick Park, or Saturdays McCarren Park
- Healthway Farms CSA distributes Saturdays, McCarren Park Greenmarket. (note, sign up by calling Joe or at their greenmarket stand)
- Paisley Farm CSA distributes on Wednesday nights, Northside
- Southside CSA distributes on Monday nights at the Woods.
Being a member of a CSA is one of the greatest ways to get to know your neighbors and maximize the amazing NY harvest.
Food, fun, and farmers –it doesn’t get more local than that.