For the past 24 years, Neighbors Allied for Good Growth has been one of North Brooklyn’s leading advocates for environmental and social justice. As we embark on a new partnership with the Greenpoint Waterfront Association for Parks and Planning, we are looking for someone who can lead us into the next quarter century of activism in Williamsburg and Greenpoint.
Please read on for a full description of our Executive Director position, and please pass it on!
Neighbors Allied for Good Growth
Executive Director Job Description
Neighbors Allied for Good Growth (NAG) advocates – through activism, education, and collaboration – for community-based solutions in North Brooklyn on issues of public space and the environment to create a just, healthy, and safe place to live and work. NAG (founded in 1994) is in the process of merging with the Greenpoint Waterfront Association for Parks & Planning (GWAPP, established in 1996), and will be launching as a newly-branded organization that will serve the citizens of the North Brooklyn neighborhoods of Greenpoint and Williamsburg.
Our vision is to create a strong community-based organization that empowers local residents and organizations to define and improve their public space. As with NAG and GWAPP, this new group will be inclusive of and partner with other local organizations–environmental, social, business, and faith-based–to act as a resource and representative entity to amplify community voices in decisions that affect their quality of life. Our combined organization will, with consensus from its members and local organizations, be a powerful, coherent and unified political force for the defense of our unique neighborhoods and to promote positive change as they evolve over time.
We seek to hire a full-time Executive Director to oversee the launch of this new organization and to carry on the legacy of NAG and GWAPP. The Executive Director will help us to grow a thriving grass-roots organization and take us to a new level of programming and activity. This is a unique opportunity to define and build an organization from the ground up, while enjoying the support of an activist Board of Directors and over 20 years of community activism. The Executive Director will report directly to the Board of Directors of NAG, and will work in partnership with volunteers, board members and paid organizers. The ideal candidate is creative, pro-active, detail-oriented and an excellent communicator, with a demonstrated interest in community organizing and grass-roots activism.
Work with the NAG Board, staff, volunteers and outside consultants to:
- Launch and grow a newly-branded joint community organization
- Develop and implement a comprehensive and sustainable fundraising plan for a membership-based organization
- Working with our Board, identify grant/ foundation funding opportunities. Coordinate grant and foundation applications and reporting
- Coordinate implementation of grant-funded projects
- Recruit and retain paid organizers for grant-funded projects
- Recruit and oversee paid organizers and part-time administrative staff
- Development and coordinate the organization’s volunteer network
- 3-7 years of non-profit management experience
- Demonstrated success in major donor and foundation fundraising, grassroots organizing, and implementing volunteer and membership recruitment programs
- Excellent interpersonal and project management skills
- Ability to juggle multiple competing projects and deadlines
- Strong communication skills, including writing, editing, and overseeing both traditional media outreach and social media outreach
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus benefits
Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred, but not required.
To apply: Email cover letter and resume to jobs[at]nag-brooklyn.org
Neighbors Allied for Good Growth is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.